JOB DESCRIPTION: PROGRAM COORDINATOR
The Program Coordinator is responsible for providing consistent, proactive, high quality support and programming to the volunteers and their site/communities during each program year. This includes retreat programming, volunteer support and check ins, maintaining relationships with sites and community support people, as well as program evaluation. The Program Coordinator facilitates a safe, yet stimulating environment for volunteers to develop and grow both personally and professionally, particularly in our core values of simplicity, social justice, spirituality, and community.
Good Shepherd Volunteers recruits, educates, and supports full-time volunteers who use their God-given talents to serve women, adolescents, and children affected by poverty, violence, and neglect in domestic and international placements. Our volunteers live out the four tenets of Social Justice, Simplicity, Spirituality, and Community, and are encouraged to maintain a commitment to these principles for a lifetime. Good Shepherd Volunteers, founded by the Sisters of the Good Shepherd, is dedicated to honoring the sisters’ core values of Individual Dignity, Mercy, Reconciliation, and Zeal.
Position: Program Coordinator
- Design, plan and implement all educational and retreat opportunities for volunteers both domestically and abroad
- Act as primary liaison with existing placement agencies, regularly checking in with site supervisors to ensure GSVs are developing professionally
- Regularly schedule check ins with the volunteers to offer support, guidance, and encouragement for them to engage in each of the four tenets of the program.
- With partner agencies coordinate health insurance, maintenance needs, stipend, reimbursement and housing concerns for the volunteers
- Lead site visits and evaluation processes for volunteers in each placement at midyear and end of year
- Act as primary liaison with GSV community support people and assist them in building relationships with their respective volunteer communities through an initial training and regular check ins
- Assist GSV team in interviewing/screening process for new applicants each year as needed
- Tell the story of the GSV experience through social media
- Participate in and support GSV recruitment and development efforts as needed
- Keep volunteers, site supervisors, support people, retreat facilitators and placement sites up to date in database
- Support GSV board committees as assigned
- Assist in tracking finances, billing, organizing files, and data collection
- Willingness to personally grow in each of the GSV tenets of simplicity, social justice, spirituality, and community
- Bachelor or higher degree in an educational, social service, or other related field
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- 2+ years work experience in an educational, social service, or other related field
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
- Ability to think creatively and constructively
- Ability to travel
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as needed
- Understanding of a full-time, faith-based volunteer experience (special focus on community living & spiritual development). Prior long-term volunteer experience preferred
- Attention to detail and strong organizational skills
Salary & Benefits:
Salary: $40-45,000 Annually
- Full health benefit plan including medical, dental, and vision; GSV pays 100% of premiums for individual coverage of full time employees
- Competitive earned paid time off and vacation policy
- Comp days, as appropriate, to provide time-off for Saturdays and Sundays worked during volunteer retreats
- Half-day Fridays during June and July and options for flexible work schedule around the Christmas season and New Year’s, depending on the needs of the organization
- Retirement Savings Plan: 403(b)
Location: Queens, NY
Reports to: GSV Executive Director
How to apply: Please send your resume and a detailed cover letter stating your interest in GSV and this role to the GSV Program Coordinator Search Committee at email@example.com. Please write “GSV Program Coordinator Search” and your name in the subject line of the email.
Application deadline: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis for a middle to late May start date.